Thursday, March 25, 2010

Heinz 57

I've been terrible lately. Two wonderful friends of mine asked why I don't post very often. I have started rehearsal for a new play, and everything else in my life goes by the way-side. The way way side. So in the spirit of balance, here I go. This will be quick and dirty. A ketch-up.

Beautiful Dreamers!!!

We are now knee deep in the rehearsal process. And I keep forgetting to bring my hip-boots. I may need them soon, because 'tech' (all the technical collaborators come together and incorporate elements into the performances) begins on Friday. 'Dreamers' is a fresh new play that celebrates the music of Pittsburgh's very own Stephen Foster, captures the spirit and growth of pre-Civil War America, and follows three strangers as they journey cross-country in search of..."Freedom. Love. Eternity." And we have our very own Marty Giles to thank for the story and direction. It's a bigger piece, so we're all doing our homework, but I am having a blast, and will enjoy playing it right on through to closing night. Did I mention I sing in this one? It's been about 4-5 years since I've had to deliver the vocal goods on stage, so it's a blessing and a challenge. And Doug Levine has arranged some frightfully difficult, yet amazing arrangements of Stephen Foster's music. It will be satisfying once we all get a handle on it.

So today, not unlike other days, I'll tromp over to the 61C cafe in squirrel hill, order a decaf and a biscotti, and run lines and scenes in my head. It often doesn't confine itself to my head, so if you find yourself there, I'm the crazy mutterer, stammering non-sensical mid-century prose in the corner. Kevin Spacey showed up in my dream the other night. (awesome transition) It reminded me of something he once said in an interview. He used to take monologues from The Iceman Cometh (pages and pages of solo words) into a restaurant or coffee shop and learn his lines there. He figured that if he could concentrate and learn them with all of the distraction of his surroundings, no matter what happened onstage, his words would be there for him.

I like that. I'm on it, Kev.

Most importantly, today celebrates the day of me little sister's birth. She is such a kick-gas young lady, and so if you know her and think of it, send her some birthday wishes!

Blessings to all and be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment