Thursday, June 3, 2010

Travel Logistics for the Logistically Challenged

I'm in a noisy coffee shop off of noisy street, and I'm attempting to drown out the cacophony in my head that is fretting about every precious detail of my fast-approaching departure to Massachusetts. My concentration is flickering in and out, like my jacked-up wireless signal which I'm stealing from the 'hipper' coffee shop across the street. And on top of the 'detail-freak' voice chattering away between my ears, the tyrannical 'figure-out-whachya-gonna-do-your-life' voice has made its presence known, intent on whispering insidious reminders and warnings.

I have a strange expectation for myself to have a fully-loaded power-point presentation of my life plan completed and ready before I take another step.

I've become a terrible executioner. Let me rephrase. I love forming master life-plans, but my devil is truly in the details. Since I began learning the "live in the moment" lessons, I'm not quite sure I understand just how to balance that idea, and also make some serious progress and changes in the practical world. Although, As I reflect back on my biggest and coolest accomplishments, I've realized that they all have come about when I was just willing to play around. Still it's becoming harder for me to trust that the details will just work themselves out.

One thing consistently remains the same (and redundant): I am genuinely excited for a change of pace and location. There is something freeing and wonderful about a new place. An opportunity for reinvention. When no one is around to remind you of old images you have of yourself, a space opens to become something new...or nothing at all, in the very best sense.

1 comment: