Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Can't imagine doing anything else?

You may have heard this one before. When you ask an actor why they do what they do, why they decide to dismiss the idea of a 9-5 existence, and live a precarious life treading the boards, they'll often answer, "I can't imagine doing anything else with my life." When I hear the words, I know that the actor-person/artist is trying to convey a sense of passion about what they do, but...wait, hold on...what? Did I hear you correctly?

The Kings and Queens of Imagination-land can't imagine doing anything else with their lives? (Isn't that among one of your key job-descriptions?)

Furthermore, it doesn't sound very self-affirming or confident.

So I resolve to put a small, more life-affirming spin on that little phrase. "I can imagine doing and being so many things, and acting is the greatest way to make that happen...and share it with you !"

Maybe the theatre or film chooses us because we have a subconscious sense of our own infinite nature. We imagine ourselves in so many different worlds, because the idea of one world, my world just doesn't ring true to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment