Saturday, May 15, 2010

From a Trench in Venice/Cyprus


I'm hanging backstage during the first half of a twelve hour rehearsal. My notebook computer is humming away in the over-lit guys communal dressing room...It's probably the loveliest day of the season in Pittsburgh, and 15+ dedicated practitioners have forgone a lazy Saturday BBQ to drag around swords and 7 lb. headgear. And the men are armed, too. I've met many an actor who loathes tech rehearsal (marathon rehearsal events when all design elements come slowly together)...

But I dig it. I love the stopping/starting so I can take a breath and reflect on choices I've made. AND after a few hours of tedium, everybody gets a little punch-drunk, and I magically become hilarious. Tech is my comedy roofie.

Roderigo Character Development Status: My body is being remotely controlled by an alien. Moving on.

I've been thinking (for a few years now) about starting a personal coaching business, and and a few nights ago I stumbled on a website featuring a former theater grad who is doing exactly want I want to do, exactly how I'd like to be doing it. I may send her a supportive message and ask her just how she got started. Mostly because she seems to love what she does and that's what it is all about, right. And, hey, if you're considering a career change and/or an injection of creativity, check her out, and let me know what you think. You can find her HERE.

Decision New York: Still on, but I'm with some reservation. Reason tells me, 'hold up, homey, and think this through, mr. precarious-bank-account-balancing man', and inner-child says, 'oooh, pretty lights!' Maybe I need to trust the rotation of the earth and see how it all plays out over the next couple of months. After all, (Iago:) 'There are many events in the womb of time which will be delivered;)'

I'm also adopting that as my new pick-up line.

No comments:

Post a Comment