Sunday, May 23, 2010

DC Bound

This will be just a quick note to let y'all know I'll be away for a day or two, and will have more to say on Tuesday when I return. At the moment, I'm on my way to a matinee performance of Othello, and then heading out to DC in the evening:

Occasionally I get to work with a wonderful company called TrialRun. They are a consulting company that specializes in training lawyers in courtroom skills; preparation, litigation, etc. I starred in a few of Trial Run's web-cast training modules that they created for a particular client. And so tomorrow my character(s) will make a guest appearance at a conference in Arlington, VA. This will give training lawyers and lawyers in training the opportunity to practice their litigation skills in live scenarios. It's a really cool gig, I have a lot of fun doing it, and I'm totally looking forward to a solo road trip to clear my head a little.

Last night, we opened Othello so the cast and crew can all breathe a collective sigh of relief. I'm proud of the work we've all done, and it seemed to be very well received.

During this process I had been so goal-driven that I think I had forgotten how to surrender and let everything be just as it is. So I spent the day before the show contemplating that idea. I folded laundry, did some meditation, tidied my living room, and tried to be with each activity. I made conscious effort to remind myself that no matter how much my ego wants to get in the way in my performance, the evening will unfold in whatever way it is meant to. I think that idea gave me some permission to feel those nerve-pangs, without letting them undo me completely. Normally before a show or an opening, I try to align my stars; center my mind, body, and soul (the universe just laughed at me). Instead, I decided to just show up in whatever head-space I was in, and let it rip. I think it helped me get out of my own way a little.

Be well everyone, and enjoy the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment