Thursday, May 20, 2010

The 'Voice Lesson' Lesson

Before the Lesson

This is my first blog-on-the-go. I'm typing it on my phone, testing the notion that my thumbs can be as expressive as the starting line-up on my hands.

At the mo, I'm on a subway/trolley car in a cavern under Mt. Washington. I'm on my way to a voice lesson, for which I'm not prepared. I'm tired, feeling flat, and I'm not sure I should be spending the few bucks I have on the lesson. But I told him I'd be there. I've got this A-1 instructor, whom I hate to disappoint. I spent the morning in a heated debate with myself about whether I'd actually show-up or call off. It went a little something like this: "It's a total 3 1/2 hour commute...but I told him I'd be there. I can't even afford the lesson...but I said I would be there. I'm performing in a Shakespearean tragedy twice today...but I shouldn't cancel!"

What's really up is that I haven't been committed to my singing at all lately. I just figured out what I have to do. To be continued...

After the Lesson

Sometimes I don't give others the credit they deserve. I decided I would tell him the whole ugly truth. And that went something like this: "I've lost my fire for this. I am vastly under-prepared, I don't think I can spare the cash, and I'm really sorry that I might be wasting your time, today." Then I winced, ready for the verbal flogging I thought I deserved.

My amazing voice teacher shrugged, muttered something akin to 'no worries' and told me a story about how when he was a young performer, had to sneak out at night and steal vegetables from neighborhood gardens for food. I took mental note of that idea, and then stood there dumbfounded at the grace he was offering me, and the wasted time worrying about yet another calamity that would never come to pass. He then spent the next forty-five minutes being inspiring as usual and coaxing my voice into 'Robert Plant-like' excellence. Almost.

He's really in it for the teaching. Thank you, TR. What I can do for him is give him my glowing recommendation as a master teacher. The universe, and I, will repay him for his kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment