Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Sound of Broken Earphones-Frugalicious

I broke my ear-buds for my eye-pod. I am no longer 'plugged-in'. My generation and younger won't travel very far without white wire necklaces pumping compressed audio. (Check out this article in the New York Times about diminishing sound quality in music today) Since I've been making it a habit of walking my 'frugalicious' booty to rehearsal and back, I've been experiencing the sounds of just normal life sounds mixed with a little silence. Besides my necessary morning routine of freestyle party dancing with Outkast, Black-Eyed Peas, and a host of others, I might take some time before I plug back in. Oh, Life before the reign of MP3.

Looking for Roderigo

It's only days until rehearsal turns tech turns preview turns opening night, and I haven't quite found that 'thing'. The 'thing' to me is always some image, some flaw, some music, something that makes the character real in my head, and helps me to click in and embody it. A flash of inspiration that takes me out of the lines, and into the moment. Here's a scary admission: sometimes I never find it. And yet other times, it's there at first rehearsal. And it doesn't matter how close 'I' am to the character or not. I don't feel like I'm making terrible choices, or that Rod doesn't have some life. But the 'thing' isn't there. Yet.

I'm gonna try this idea where you write down a question for your subconscious mind to mull over while you sleep. It'll go something like this: Rod, buddy, thou must show thyself to me pal, 'cause opening night is drawing nigh, and no one wants to see me loseth my s@$# all over the Shakespearian stage. It's high time for a quiet reread.

No comments:

Post a Comment