Saturday, May 8, 2010

'Money Matters.' An Experiment


Well, I don't know how this happened, but somehow in my human development, I skipped a few necessary life-skills (probably so I could go have fun creating things). You know Abraham Maslow's pyramid of self-actualization? Neither do I, apparently. Since I've been doing some consistent work on stage these past few months, I thought I could ditch the side job as a barista, and free up my time to focus on my stage endeavors. So why am I so surprised that there is a (low) two-digit number of dollars in my account that has to last me until Thursday of next week? OK, so before I start the self-abuse, and lay to waste any remnants of self-esteem, I am going to attempt to change my mindset. This will be a 'Challenge'...survivor Actor. I have a bag of rice, half a bag of pasta, peanut-butter (very low on jelly), 7-8 eggs, etc. I can walk to rehearsal...I am A-OK. AND my time at home, not being social, can be given to reflection, where maybe I can get to the root of the thoughts that create the scarcity.

Here is a starting point for me. I have a belief that money and art do not mix. They do not play well together. So I relegate money to the role of 'survival...helper.' Not uncommon for artists, or anyone, especially since our current collective economic belief is aligned with a sense of lack. What if I start to see the flow of money as a measure of my ability to make contributions? Hmm. I'm on to something. If I can drill it into my foggy subconscious head that money is just a resource that allows me to feed my passions and redistribute that energy in a productive and expansive way, I bet I would start to see some change in how I spend my time and my money. This will be my homework, and I will report my progress, and you can be my accountability partner. More to come, and I wish you all abundance as I find it in myself!

1 comment:

  1. Boom! Loving this part of the post - "where maybe I can get to the root of the thoughts that create the scarcity", some pretty amazing outcomes can creatively be born from that sort of thing-big believer of "Adversity Breeds Creativity" : )

    ReplyDelete