Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Oh Brother, How Art Thou?

Today is my big bro's birthday. We don't talk much. We're cool, we're just inherently different people. He's got two precocious redheaded boys, good steady work, a wonderful wife, and lives close to where we grew up. Where I spent most of my childhood making music and learning to juggle, he spent his silently battling it out on the wrestling mat, soccer field, and baseball diamond. And I admire the guy more than I've ever told him.

So we don't connect on a lot of issues. He's not a man of many words. We're not gonna discuss Eastern philosophy, unless I can tie it in with the Yankees line-up. We never talk about what I do, and we certainly never talk about our 'feelings'. It's just how we roll.

So, this past Christmas, I'm visiting the family, making the rounds, and he calls me up to grab lunch. The dynamic is familiar...I puff out my chest a little to prove I've still got some testosterone, and he's half preoccupied with a game on a big screen above the bar. And out of nowhere he asks me, "So...what's it like being an actor, really? Tell me about some of your roles." I laugh, look down at my fries, and give him some stock answer, and then I realize he's asking me for reals. He's curious. So, I go with it and just start talking. Then he wants to know how I do it, what's the process. After awhile, I'm telling him stories of forgotten lines, missed entrances, and he's laughing it up, genuinely engaged. He gets it.

Then I get it. Dude's proud of me.

He may never actually say the words, but that experience continues to inspire me. And maybe next time I see him, I'll deflate my chest, put my voice in my normal higher register, and tell the guy I'm proud of him too. He's the most authentic guy I know. Happy Birthday, man. You're awesome.

1 comment:

  1. That's a nice story, man. Thanks for sharing. I can relate to it
    See you soon
    -C

    ReplyDelete