Tuesday, May 18, 2010

In the Garden of Good and Better

Lately, I have been inspired by the goodness in others. Some friends of mine have been reading this blog, and have responded with kindness, job opportunities, ear buds, and toilet paper. (fist-pump) For instance:

I'm going to 'hoe it up' for money outside of the city this week. Some wonderful acquaintances (soon to be friends, I'm sure; they're pretty cool) have an amazing two acres of flora outside of their house, and they are looking for a little gardening and maintenance help. I can't think of anything better than a couple of days surrounded by chlorophyll green, playing in the dirt. Not only will it be great work, away from my usual brain-grinding, it's answered prayer and will help me to 'put money in my purse'. (An Othello reference, not an indication of my actual accessory choices). Thanks again, RA and B!

Another friend of mine sent me a sweet note and a new pair of headphones. Thank you, NB! In return, I'll make her a music mix CD, including, of course, some of my morning dance party tunes that shake me like a Polaroid picture.

I'm looking forward to paying it all forward.

For your consideration

I wonder if other actors have had any success working remotely while they are out of town. I will have a very busy summer with three shows and wonder if there is work I can do for a few hours a day that requires nothing but a computer and some fast typing fingers, so that I can make some extra dough before New York in September. Universe, consider this a personal query.

Anyway, I casually brought up my interest in personal coaching as a profession in the dressing room a day or two ago, and was met with some good natured, albeit negative perceptions of the industry. I have some deep convictions about things, but a lot of times, I can be easily influenced and shaken by the opinions of others, especially those I like and respect. These comments could have taken the cliched 'wind right out of my sails' . What struck me this time is that I was totally unfazed by the mildly disparaging remarks. It felt good to know that that this particular conviction was deeper than the good opinions of my well-intending pals. I mean, a profession that inspires people, helps them to become what they want to become and achieve greater and greater dreams...sounds pretty awesome to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment